Parallax Advanced Research was selected to lead the Department of the Air Force program the Academic Partnership Engagement Experiment, or APEX, in 2019 via a Partnership Intermediary Agreement. Parallax Advanced Research is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established in 2011 and provides efficient and effective contracting, security and research support for academic institutions across the State of Ohio and the Nation. To support the APEX initiative, Parallax Advanced Research plays a key role in employing advanced machine learning and data science to identify scientists and scientific communities around the country whose work can be developed for Department of the Air Force application. APEX also leverages Parallax leadership of the Ohio Federal Research Network to improve academic and industry research partnerships across Ohio.
APEX is a first-of-its-kind program that aims to enhance partnerships between the Department of the Air Force and academia. The five-year, $49 million program focuses on enhancing academic engagement nationwide in support of the National Defense and U.S. Air Force 2030 Strategies.
APEX provides free resources to academic researchers and innovators interested in participating in or applying for funding from the Air Force Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transition Research (STTR) programs. APEX's goal is to make a major leap forward for Department of the Air Force defense technology innovation and development.
What is a Partnership Intermediary Agreement (PIA)?
A partnership intermediary is an agreement between the government and an intermediary organization such as state and local governmental agencies and nonprofit entities operated by or on behalf of a state or local government to perform partnership intermediary services. These services increase the likelihood of success in the conduct of cooperative or joint activities with small business firms and educational institutions that need technology-related assistance from a federal laboratory.
As such, the APEX partnership intermediary performs services that support the Department of the Air Force, U.S. Air Force 2030 Science and Technology Strategy, U.S. Air Force Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) / Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program and U.S. Air Force Technology Transfer and Transition program, including identification of appropriate technologies for licensing and commercialization and new technologies in the private sector that the U.S. Air Force can utilize and transfer to operational use.
Our Core Competencies
- Expanding the Department of Defense’s scientific presence
- Cultivating partnerships, networks, idea pipelines and other initiatives, and increasing technology transition opportunities
- Collaborating with other Department of the Air Force and DoD Partnership Intermediaries to assist in training and the rapid transfer/transition of technology
- Facilitating technology transitions out of academia to industry and small businesses participating in the U.S. Air Force Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program and U.S. Air Force Technology Transfer and Transition program
- Facilitating Blue Sky events to drive out-of-the-box, long-term technology visions linked to real world, gap-driven challenges involving industry, academia and government participants
- Facilitating challenge problems to assist with collaboration between the Department of the Air Force, academia and major contractors and their supply chains
- Developing and utilizing data analytics to identify academic and business partners, and map technology areas of interest to the Department of the Air Force
- Networking with small businesses, universities, university spin off companies and major and minor DoD contractors
- Assisting with building relationships between small businesses, universities, university spin off companies, and major and minor DoD contractors and rural and underserved universities and small businesses
- Providing education to academia and industry on Department of the Air Force processes
- Assisting the Department of the Air Force with personnel exchange programs with academia to foster collaboration, sabbaticals or visiting researcher programs
- Publicizing and promoting Department of the Air Force successes featuring Technology Transfer and Transition and SBIR/STTR programs’ initiatives
- Maintaining operations security consistent with all applicable DoD policies to protect sensitive unclassified and other information and resources produced by acquisition and technological security efforts.
- Exercising granted authorities to support agile practices
APEX integrates stakeholders and processes into a systematic, repeatable operation that spans the science and technology lifecycle and is designed to maximize probability of transition
Furthermore, APEX opens the aperture to a broader set of academic, industry and government partnerships to create a robust pipeline of new innovative technology solutions and supports and cultivates these partnerships to increase technology transition successes and enhance access to top worldwide talent.
Contact us for more information about the APEX program.